Staying In The Country I Love

Afraid Your Grandparents Will Get Deported? What To Do

If your grandparents aren't legal citizens in the United States but have been living here for decades, it's understandable to fear that they will be deported out of the country. If you feel like they are being targeted and they have never filed to become citizens, because they don't want to draw attention to themselves being in the country illegally, you want to call a lawyer. An immigration attorney that specializes in this type of work would be best. Look into these different options and talk with the lawyer about the following.

Your Grandparents Health

The current health conditions or issues your grandparents have may be a reason why they need to stay in the country. If they aren't able to get the healthcare that they need, or if moving them to an area where they have no one to care for them could be fatal, your lawyer will use this as a way to get them citizenship. If your grandparents are in very poor health, moving them back to their home country could be very damaging.

Criminal Record

If your grandparents have no criminal history that you have to worry about, and they have proven that they haven't done anything wrong while they have been living in the United States, this will only improve their chances of being awarded citizenship, or getting their case considered and looked at.

Costs and Expectations

You want to know in advance how long it's going to take to get the applications submitted, to hear back from the immigration office, and what the chances are that you can get your grandparents approved to be citizens, so they don't get deported.

You also want to know what the cost will be in legal fees, application fees, and other expenses that could come up along the way. This way you are prepared for the process and you are prepared for what will realistically happen with their case.

If you are worried that something will send up a red flag and your grandparents are going to be recognized as illegal immigrants in the country, and then you will no longer be able to see them because they will be deported, you want to talk with an immigration lawyer to get answers right away. The sooner you act, the less likely they are to be deported back to their home country. For more information, contact a lawyer in your area as soon as possible.